Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Tough FTF Hunt

Yesterday (9-8-08) at about 4:45 a new cache popped up.  Roseville PNG (GC1G3BK) is only about 4 miles (as the crow flies) from where I work.  I decided it was time for me to pack up and head out - maybe I would be able to get the FTF!

I arrived at ground zero at about 5:15 or 5:20 and started the search.  I of course scoured the traditional locations very quickly and came up empty (BTW, future finders, don't play with the electrical box taped to the light pole.  The cache is NOT in there and the electrical box is live).

The area is definitely muggle heaven.  Tons of people around everywhere... but I can't give up now.  I widened the search radius and continued on.

After a short while I noticed three people walking toward me so I started walking back toward ground zero.  Soon one of them gave a little "hello" wave and smiled.  Of course I waved back and could tell they were cachers as well.  Turned out to be Lasreaine, Magicite, and Moonpies who were also hoping for the FTF.

We all continued looking throughout the area.  Some widening the search area and others keeping around ground zero.  Finally I heard the sweet sound of "found it" from right behind me (5:35PM).  Yes, behind me because I just searched that area.  It was Lasreaine who came up with the find - and it was a tough find at that!!

You can read my cache log for some more insights.  Lasreaine's log is there too.

Thanks for the fun hide, Joukkusisu.  It was great to meet three new cachers today and I hope to see them again sometime.

NOTE: Turns out this cache has been a thorn in others sides.  Lots of DNF's in the first 24 hours.

No comments: