Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Springbrook Nature Center

I decided to go after 4 caches today. I've been seeing them on my list for some time but just haven't taken the time to go get them. Well, today is the day.

I started off in a row of pine trees. These type of caches always take me longer than they should (I guess that's why I've hidden a couple of them myself :-) ). Turned out to be a pretty quick find on an excellent hide. I can't say I've seen this before. I'm not going to provide a link or the cache name because some cachers have had trouble with it and I don't want to give too much away. You can find out anyway if you think about it hard enough.

I spent the rest of my lunch time in Springbrook Nature Center. I've been there many times before hunting caches but there were three new ones that I haven't found yet. So I grabbed them - all uneventful - even with all the muggles on the great spring day.

While I was in the area, I decided that Springbrook needed some more caches. I took four new cache containers out of my trunk and started walking the paths. I found places for three of them but the fourth I just wasn't happy with. It's a special container that needed just the right place - and I didn't find that place. Maybe I'll get back there and hide it eventually.

As I was walking the trails looking for a place for hide number two, I was startled by a deer. Ok, not that unusual, I've seen lots of deer while caching in the local parks. So I stopped, and quickly grabbed the camera.

I stood there for only about five seconds and slowly lifted the camera in hopes of getting a couple of pictures. Click - ok that worked great. Click - humm, that one did, too.

The deer continues eating the new green buds on the trees and looks up at me between bites. He keeps walking closer and closer. He sees me but isn't worried in the least about me. He's more concerned with having those fresh green buds for lunch. I keep clicking pictures and he keeps walking closer and closer. He finally stopped about 20 feet from me. I slowly slide out to the middle of the trail to get a good picture. Click - that was a good one.

We just stood there looking at each other for another minute or so.

Ok, Mr deer. I have to get moving, lunch is over. I take a step toward him and he just looks at me. So I slide my foot in the dirt to scare him. He jumps - more like a twitch - and starts to meander off the path. But only about 10 feet and he starts eating again.

I head down the path to finish hiding cache number two.

It was a good day walking the paths of Springbrook. Temperature was in the upper 60's - maybe lower 70's with a slight breeze. Perfect time of year for this!

No comments: