Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Regular Size and Geotagging

Alright - snow or not - I haven't cached in 5 days and I'm going caching today!

I selected a group of 5 caches that I can grab during lunch. I dawned my snow boots and snow pants (which are always in the trunk for times like this) and drove to first cache.

This was a fun one. Not what I expected from the normal playground type cache hide. Now off to the others.

I thought my interesting cache for today was going to be the playground cache. But I found myself at puzzle cache that turned out to be an even more interesting hide. After doing a little math in the field I headed for the final location. Again, not at all what I expected!! The container size is a "regular." How on earth do you hide a regular sized container in this location. I couldn't imagine. I figured I must have done the math wrong. But before I go back to the first stage I thought I'd look around a bit. Lo and behold (no, that's not a spoiler) there is a regular sized cache here. Wow!! Thanks for the fun cache, meralgia. You almost got me!

I tried something new today. After listening to Icenrye's videozine episode 33 last week I was interested in geotagging some photos (take a look at his videozine for all the details). In a nut shell, I was able to take a couple of photo's while caching today. Then mash them up against the track log from my GPS using GPicSync and out pops a Google Earth (not Google Maps) .kmz. Load up Google Earth and open the .kmz and wammo! My track log with pictures embedded. Now that's cool!!

Here's the .kmz file so you can take a look. There are two pictures that appear as camara icons on the track log. Click the camera and up pop's my picture.

The two caches from the pictures are:
Lewis Park (GC16W0F) - AprilFools1.jpg
Foundry Park (GC16W04) - AprilFools2.jpg

Let me know what you think about geotagging!

No comments: