Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Woohoo! Winter Caching is back!!

I may be crazy but I really enjoy winter caching. Yes, sometimes it's too cold but for the most part as long as it's above 20 degrees it's the best time to be out.

I suppose some of it has to do with cleanliness. Many of my finds are done at lunch time. That means I'm wearing dress clothes most of the time. In the summer I all too often come back to work with dirt smudges on my pants or leaves on my back. The great thing about winter is that I cover all of those dress clothes up with "winter gear".

So two days ago I dawned my winter coat, snow/wind pants, snow boots and headed out for some caches. Now two day's ago I only needed that because it was cold. No snow on the ground yet but the wind was very cold with temps in the low 30's.

I didn't have much time so I only went after two caches (I'm leaving the names out because of the picture that shows the cache container). I headed out into the woods which soon became a swamp - but it's cold, right. There shouldn't be any water problems in the swamp when it's this cold... Silly me - Soon I stuck my boot into 6 inches of mucky, muddy, swamp water. Duh! it's only been cold for a day. I kept moving forward to find the cache and then on to the next one.

Side note: There you go - another reason winter caching is the best. Even though my foot was 6" under water in the muck, I didn't care! My snow boots are water proof and come up to my calf - see there are many reasons why I like winter caching.

The next cache was a great walk. It was cold outside but it was a clear afternoon which made the 1/3 mile walk each way worth it. After seeing the title I had a good idea what I was looking for but how could it be a regular size cache if it's what I think it is. Humm, maybe the hider messed up....

As the picture shows, nope, he didn't mess up. That's how a shot gun shell can be a regular size cache!! My glove is in the picture to show a relative size. Very cool container. Made finding it even more difficult.

Two days later.... (that would be today).

Today I had time to renew my drivers license which expires in a couple of weeks. I went a little early to miss the lunch traffic and it worked. I got out of there very quickly so off I went to Central Park in Roseville to find the caches - it's only a block away, how could I pass them up? The difference this time is that it snowed last night! Real winter caching today!! I once again dawned my winter gear and headed out to find a few caches.

I was able to nab 5 today, which once again cleared out Central Park for me.

ADAT The picture of the baseball field is close to where this one was hidden.

Fir Protestor by Posen. I love caching in Roseville primarily due to Posen. He has some GREAT containers! This one was near a wasps nest that was nesseled in a pole about 12" in diameter. Yikes! See the log posting for a picture.

Make an ash of yourself more winter fun - climbing a hill.

Fowl Ball This one was starting to make me mad. I can't believe how long it took me to find it!

Girls Scouts are Prepared Another Posen hide - but one that I wasn't expecting. Not his normal type of hide made this one harder that it should have been. Oh well, a find is still a find.

After all of that, my gloves were soaked, my pants and coat were wet, but my work clothes were dry and clean as could be.

Now back to work I go after a most excellent day of winter caching!

4 comments:

Joboo said...

i have to agree with you, winter caching is a great thing!!!
i love the long hikes in the woods on nice cold northern Mn. day!! the woods are so cool in the winter. my favorite time of year!!!
Peace,
Joboo

Joboo said...

it's not been very winter geocaching friendly in northern Mn. lately -30 to -40 windchill temps will but the brakes on in a hurry!!
when the weather breaks, i'll be hitting up two WF caches.
the 1st will be Exnell Lake (GC1AD2N)it's a 7 mile round trip and should be great fun!! by some of the recents logs it sounds like this is a true WF cache. i'm very much looking forward to it.
the 2nd will be Great Gray Rd.
(GC1E3AH)somewhat of a walk but nothing like the hike to Exnell.
i'm starting to get the nongeocaching jones, not being able to get out and cache!!!
i'll be doning these cache with my new GPSr i'm getting for x-mas.
anyway......take and.................... Peace, Joboo

Joboo said...

Hers's my log for the Great Gray Road cache: ENJOY!!!


First off let me say, this is a wonderful cache!!!
a TRUE winter friendly hide, very very well done!!!
it was an honor to find this cache!!
i've beat around this area during all seasons except winter. thank you for placing this cache!!

ok, now on to my adventure......my better half, and two sick kids stayed in the vehicle, (hey, they needed to get outta the house), i did some scouting the other day when i was driving home from a cache further south, and i found a shorter route coming from the west. it's winter after all, come on??!!

we parked at 3:45 and i was off, half way there i saw 6 deer running toward me heads down, and moving.......hmmm strange....i yelled and they stopped on a dime, we looked at each other for a bit, then they bolted to the north and were gone.
as i was passing the clearing to my left i found out why they were moving so fast......timber wolves!!!!
all i saw was 2, but i'll bet you there were more. THEY DON'T CALL THEM THE GHOST'S OF THE WOODS FOR NOTHING!!
this isn't the first time i've run into wolves while searching for a cache!! this time they were further away!!
what's with me and the timbers???!!! i sure don't know, but it's getting cooler everytime it happens!
WHAT A RUSH!!!

i made the last 400' to the cache, and i sat and listened to the snow falling to the earth, and i swear i could hear every flake hitting the top of the snow already on the ground!!
VERY NICE

i signed the log, and swapped coins, and made my way back to the vehicle..... with a big smile on my face the whole way!!!!


again, a big TFTC!!!


if anyone is on the fence about caching in the winter time, this is the cache for you!


Peace,
Joboo and Cindi

Joboo said...

Here's my log for the Great Gray Road cache::: ENJOY!!




First off let me say, this is a wonderful cache!!!
a TRUE winter friendly hide, very very well done!!!
it was an honor to find this cache!!
i've beat around this area during all seasons except winter. thank you for placing this cache!!

ok, now on to my adventure......my better half, and two sick kids stayed in the vehicle, (hey, they needed to get outta the house), i did some scouting the other day when i was driving home from a cache further south, and i found a shorter route coming from the west. it's winter after all, come on??!!

we parked at 3:45 and i was off, half way there i saw 6 deer running toward me heads down, and moving.......hmmm strange....i yelled and they stopped on a dime, we looked at each other for a bit, then they bolted to the north and were gone.
as i was passing the clearing to my left i found out why they were moving so fast......timber wolves!!!!
all i saw was 2, but i'll bet you there were more. THEY DON'T CALL THEM THE GHOST'S OF THE WOODS FOR NOTHING!!
this isn't the first time i've run into wolves while searching for a cache!! this time they were further away!!
what's with me and the timbers???!!! i sure don't know, but it's getting cooler everytime it happens!
WHAT A RUSH!!!

i made the last 400' to the cache, and i sat and listened to the snow falling to the earth, and i swear i could hear every flake hitting the top of the snow already on the ground!!
VERY NICE

i signed the log, and swapped coins, and made my way back to the vehicle..... with a big smile on my face the whole way!!!!


again, a big TFTC!!!


if anyone is on the fence about caching in the winter time, this is the cache for you!


Peace,
Joboo and Cindi