Sunday, November 23, 2008

"Must Have" GPS case

I wanted to put a quick plug in for an awesome protective case for the Garmin eTrex color series of GPSr's. The definition of an eTrex color includes the eTrex Vista C series, Venture C series, Legend C series, and the Summit C series. These units all have color screens and are all basically the same physical size (approx 4.2 x 2.2 x 1.2).

I've had one of these color units since I first started caching in Dec 2005. Since then I've acquired quite a collection of Garmin eTrex units - most of them color units. My kids use them when we go out caching and, of course, the kids aren't quite as careful with them as I'd like them to be. So shortly after I bought my second color unit a couple of years ago I searched for a case that would protect it from the wear-and-tear my young children put on it.

After quite a search I came across Foarm on Amazon (here's a link to search for Foarm on Amazon.com). After continuing to search and look for more options there was nothing like Foarm anywhere. So I bought one to try it out.

Long story short... The case is absolutely awesome! It holds the unit snugly and surrounds them with a plastic protective shield. Unlike other cases, there is no plastic cover over the screen - which usually make the screen very hard to read. Instead Foarm ships 2 screen protectors with the case.

I think I've now purchased 11 of these eTrex cases - 4 have been given away to other family members. I absolutely love these cases. Matter of fact I also bought two of them for my GPSMap 76CSx's. I see they now have one for the Garmin Colorado, too.

So if you looking to protect your eTrex color, 76 series, or maybe even the Colorado GPS (or have someone on your Christmas list who is) check these guy's out at Amazon. I've been very pleased with their product and customer support.

Note: I am not affiliated with Foarm, Inc in any way. I just tried their product and have been very impressed.

2 comments:

Dan Cole said...

Just wondering, what does the exterior of the case feel like? Is it rubberized or hardened plastic with a texture or what? I find myself wedging my unit between the dash and the windshield in a make-shift dashboard mount. I'm just afraid that a hard plastic case would not have the grip needed to stick to the dash or the windshield. I really like your blog and I'm going to subscribe to it....right...now!

Sokratz said...

The exterior of the eTrex cases have all been rubberized. I have eTrex case in black, gray, and brown. Each of them are the same rubberized texture.

I also use these cases for my GPSMap 76CSX and CS. I have two cases, one black and one gray. The black case for the 76 series was not rubberized but a material covering (kind of a canvas feel). However, the gray one was rubberized.

I've found that the rubberized cases stick well to the dash of the car and don't slide around at all. However, the one canvas textured case slides all over the dash of the car. I've stuck with the rubberized ones (no pun intended :-) )