Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Trifecta Caching

WooHoo! A trifecta all in one cache!! I've had a trifecta day, or a trifecta week, but I don't think I've had a trifecta cache before!

Trifecta: The situation of having three major accomplishments or achievements in a sport, profession, or pastime.

Pastime: That which amuses, and serves to make time pass agreeably; sport; amusement; diversion; games.

Game: A pursuit or activity with rules performed either alone or with others, for the purpose of entertainment.

"Would you like to play a game? How about Global Thermal Nuclear War?" (10 bonus points of you know what move that quote is from)

Since Geocaching is a game, and a game is a pastime, and a trifecta is an accomplishment in a pastime I think the name qualifies: Trifecta Caching.

June has been a slow caching month for me for many reasons. Now that it's July I can get back on the bandwagon again - and there's no better way to do that than to start with a trifecta cache!

X=GZ (GC1DQGK) by Topgear was that cache.

The cache popped up last night as a new puzzle cache. I thought I might have a chance so I quickly solved the puzzle the old fassioned way (printed a map of the area with the coords on it then used a compass to disect some lines, drew a couple more lines and viola - ground zero was found). I was pretty sure Rebelex wouldn't be going after this since it was a puzzle, so my odds of being "first to find" where even higher. So I added X=GZ to my list of caches to go after on the way to work in the morning.

On the way to work I arrived at a parking lot near the cache. Another car was ahead of me and parked in the same end of the parking lot - where no other cars were.

"Humm", I thought, "Looks like I might have to share this find with another cacher."

I quickly got out of the car and so did the other person. We kinda glanced at each other and moved on. He grabbed a very large bag out of his trunk and headed toward a door.

"Whew, I think I'm back on my own for the hunt."

Approaching the cache I waded through tons of poison ivy, mosquitoes who wanted to drain my body of blood, and even a tic or two. After a short search I finally made the find, traded a travel bug, and signed the log.

Ok, now here's where the trifecta comes in. My three achievements are:
  1. Marked off another day for "Bakers Dozen." This will be a puzzle for Day 5. My bookmark for the Bakers Dozen caches can be found here.
  2. I needed an X for "Alphabet Soup" - X is the last one I need to finish that puzzle. My bookmark for the Alphabet Soup caches can be found here.
  3. WOOHOO!! First to Find at 8:05AM. I really didn't think this one would last until 8AM but it did. I haven't had an FTF for quite a while - April 17 - so that makes it 2 1/2 months. SWEET!!
I finished the caching day by completing Day 5 of Bakers Dozen at lunch.

I wonder if there's such a thing as a quadfecta for next time....